Saturday, October 31, 2009

I am at Juilliard School, New York City

Guess what? I am right now at Juilliard School, one of the most prestigious schools of performing arts including dance, vocal, drama, musical instruments, and Jazz. They happen to have 2 recitals this afternoon at 4:00 and 6:00 pm. And they are free to the public.How generous and wonderful!

I am waiting at their cozy lobby to get in the recital on time. Another good thing here is that you enjoy free Wi-Fi access. That is why I am being able to write this blog right now.

about the Juilliard
It is just a building around W 65th Street and Broadway. The inside of the building is as gorgeous as the facade. The recital/concert hall that I am in is called Paul Hall. Very beautiful although it is not a big one. There are of course a few other concert halls inside this building.

I saw a very cozy corner for students. Very relaxing and inviting. Best of all, it provides free Internet access to guests as well as students.

update:
I am attending a recital by Conor Hanick, a pianist PhD candidate at Juilliard School. This recital is presented as a partial fulfillment for his PhD. His committee got to be around although I don't know them of course.
He plays Beethoven very well. Good job!



YJ

6 comments:

ricky_christanto said...

Dear Prof,

Can you record the music and then forward it to web server via wireless? and the web server can broadcast it to many client. I think it's useful technology for the mobile tv station in the future. It's possible?

Best Regards,

Ricky

Yao Jen said...

Thanks for your response. unfortunately, the recording is strictly prohibited.

YJ

ricky_christanto said...

I mean for the case that recording is not strictly prohibited. So, actually I want to share my idea about live blogging with rich content(audio, video).

Thank you

Ricky

Yao Jen said...

Thanks. I will try to post pictures when I come back. All the pictures taken in Pittsburgh & New York are not here with me right now. I will get a copy later anyway.

YJ

C&N said...

Hey!
Welcome to USA! I hope you've been enjoying your trip. Since you were visiting Juilliard School, have you got the chance to read the book "Soloist"? It's about a Juilliard drop-out who become mentally-ill when he was a student there and now is a homeless living in Los Angeles area. It is a true story and you would find it very interesting to depict how vulnerable the scoial welfare system is here in US to treat people with Mental illness.
Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!
Say hi to Cheifeng!

Ginger

Yao Jen said...

We do have a copy of Soloist at home. Both Kathy and I have read it. We went to the DVD shop last night. It should come out later this month.

Many homeless are with schizophrenia. Due to de-institutionalization, they become street bound rather than in care facilities. In Taiwan, people with schizophrenia are still institutionalized or stay at home.

YJ